The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Damage Control||Table of Contents||Next: Darwin|
|Tonnage||4850 tons standard displacement
|Dimensions||472'6" by 46'6" by 16'6"
144.02m by 14.17m by 5.03m
|Maximum speed||29 knots|
3x1 4"/45 dual-purpose guns
2 2pdr AA guns
4x3 21" torpedo tubes
|Protection||3" (76mm) belt
1" (25mm) aft bulkhead
2.25" (57mm) magazine box
1" (25mm) deck
1" (25mm) magazine box
3" (76mm) conning tower
||2-shaft Brown-Curtiss geared
turbine (40,000 shp)
6 Yarrow boilers
|Bunkerage||1050 tons fuel oil|
|Range||2300 nautical miles (4300km) at 28 knots
5900 nautical miles (11,000 km) at 10 knots
Modifications were extensive and
not well standardized.
At a minimum, 2x4 2pdr guns and 8x1 20mm Oerlikon AA guns and Type 273 and Type 291 radar were added between 1942 and 1944.
Danae and Dragon landed their torpedo tubes by 1944 to make room for improved armament and radar.
The Danaes or "D" class were
completed in 1918-1922 as very light
cruisers. They were a response to intelligence reports that the Germans
were building 6" (152mm) cruisers armed with 10-12 guns. However, the German
ships had their guns on the beams, and could be economically matched
with cruisers based on the C class but having six guns on the
centerline. The various refinements caused the displacement to creep up
which, together with a slightly greater beam, limited the speed to 29
knots in spite of improved machinery.
Badly obsolete by the start of the Pacific War, they were extensively modernized in their light antiaircraft battery. Dehli, which did not serve in the Pacific, even replaced the main battery with 5"/38 DP guns.
Gogin (2010; accessed 2012-12-18)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2009, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article