The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Bareli||Table of Contents||Next: Barnegat Class, U.S. Small Seaplane Tenders|
Barnaul (83.8E, 53.333N) was the capital of the Altai Territory of the Soviet Union and the main communications center of the Kuznetsk Basin, to which the Soviet Union shifted much of its heavy industry after the Nazi invasion in 1941. Originally a precious metals refining and trade center, Barnaul had access to the Trans-Siberian Railway by 1916 and began to be industrialized in the 1930's, with a major textile mill beginning operations in 1934.
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article