The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: San Diego||Table of Contents||Next: San Francisco|
San Fernando (120.303E 16.609N) was a small port on the east side of Lingayen Gulf on Luzon. Facilities were limited to a pair of jetties.
9 Regiment and 2 Formosa Regiment seized the town on 22 December 1941 against weak opposition by 71 Philippine Regiment. The Japanese subsequently established a secondary airfield here.
The port was rapidly expanded by the Americans following its
recapture by guerrillas in
the second Luzon campaign on 14 March 1945. The port eventually
had 93 anchorages.
ReferencesBureau of Yards and Docks (1947; accessed 2011-4-9)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article