The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Nagura Shiori||Table of Contents||Next: Naini|
U.S. Marine Corps. Via ibiblio.org
Naha (127.669E 26.218N) is the principal port of Okinawa, with a population of 60,000 persons, but the harbor was cramped and had only limited facilities. There was a small naval air station on the nearby Motobu Peninsula.
Naha was briefly an American coaling station after a visit by
Commodore Matthew C. Perry in 1853, during which he compelled the
regent to sign a treaty
granting friendly treatment to American ships. The city again came under American
control on 24 May 1945 during the battle for Okinawa. The port was
cleared of wrecks sufficiently to be opened for LCTs on 7 June 1945.
Appleman et al. (1947; accessed 2011-4-1)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2009-2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article