The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Gardner, Matthias B.||Table of Contents||Next: Gasmata|
46.523N) is a rail junction near Helena, Montana. The town was the center of a phosphate
mining district. The phosphate came from the Phosphoria formation,
which was up to 70 feet (21m)
thick in this region, with the richest phosphate rock (up to 60%
calcium triphosphate) coming from the Retort member, which was up to 5'
(almost 2m) thick. Production ws relatively modest during the war
years, at about 920 tons per year, but became much greater after 1945.
Fort William Henry Harrison
Montana Department of Environmental Quality (accessed 2013-5-31)
Van Royen and Bowles (1952)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2013 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article