The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Chitose Class, Japanese Seaplane Carriers
|Table of Contents
|Next: Chiwawa Class, U.S. Fleet Oilers
Chittagong (91.831E 22.322N) has a fine natural harbor used since ancient times. It was ceded to the British East India Company in 1760 and became the chief port of east Bengal in India.
During the retreat to India from Burma in 1942, the British demolished the dock facilities at Chittagong to deny them to the Japanese if they came that far north. Since Chittagong became the base for the British offensives into the Arakan in 1942 and 1944, this was an unfortunate decision. The airfield here based medium bombers throughout the remainder of the war.
A 6" (152mm) fuel pipeline was completed from Chittagong to Imphal by the end of March 1945.
Romanus and Sunderland (1958; accessed 2011-8-30)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article