The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Ephrata||Table of Contents||Next: Erskine, Graves B.|
U.S. Navy. Via USSEriePG50.org
|Tonnage||2000 tons standard displacement
|Dimensions||328'6" by 41'3" by 14'10"
100.13m by y12.57m by 4.52m
|Maximum speed||20 knots|
2x4 1.1"/75 AA guns
||2-shaft Parsons geared turbine (6200 shp)
2 Babcock & Wilcox boilers
||1.25" (32mm) deck (machinery)
1" (25mm) deck (magazines)
||8000 nautical miles (6000 km) at
Mark 3 radar
||At some point a 3" (76mm) belt was fitted.
1942: 6x1 20mm Oerlikon AA guns were shipped and two depth charge tracks added.
were gunboats built in 1936 in Navy yards
for the purpose of "showing the flag" at distant stations in peacetime
("peace cruisers") and for escort or antiaircraft duty in wartime.
They were a tight design meant to exploit a loophole in the naval disarmament
treaties, which exempted unarmored gunboats of 2000 tons or less,
speed of 20 knots or less, and armament under 6.1" from restrictions.
They were rather odd ducks, with the armament of a small light cruiser and the antisubmarine gear of a destroyer. They were designed to
be fitted with a 3" (76mm) armor
belt on commencement of hostilities, which apparently took place early
in the war. However, their speed was much too slow for most of the
roles envisioned for them.
GlobalSecurity.org (accessed 2009-11-28)
Gogin (2010; accessed 2012-12-21)
Navsource.org (accessed 2008-1-21)
USSEriePG50.org (accessed 2009-11-28)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article