The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Daihatsu Class, Japanese Landing Craft||Table of Contents||Next: Daly Waters|
Thomas (1927). Fair use may apply.
Dairen (Dalian; 121.577E
38.944N) was a commercial port
just north of the naval base of Port
Arthur. It was known as Dalian to the Chinese and Dalny to the Russians,
who extensively developed it as a civilian port prior to the
Russo-Japanese War of 1905. The port was abandoned without a fight
during the siege of Port Arthur and came under Japanese control as part
of the Kwantung Leased Territory.
By 1941 Dairen was the location
of a sizeable chemical works and a naval
air station, and the double tracked rail line to Harbin was the heart of the Manchurian
rail system. The population was about 510,000 persons. The city was also a major manufacturing center for opium
and its derivatives. During the period of Russian neutrality in
1939-1941, the port was used to ship rubber and other strategic materials to Germany, circumventing the British blockade.
At the Yalta Conference, the Allies agreed to internationalize the port, but postwar this amounted to joint Russian-Chinese Communist control of the port. The port was formally returned to Chinese control in 1950.
||Building Way Length
"Handbook on Japanese Military Forces" (1944-9; accessed 2012-9-30)
IMTF Judgement (1948; accessed 2012-9-30)
Populstat.info (accessed 2014-6-8)
Roskill (1956; accessed 2012-9-30)
Text of the Yalta Conference Agreements (1945-2; accessed 2012-9-30)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2012, 2014 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article