The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Table of Contents
44.64N) is a town in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. The
area was first settled by immigrant farmers in 1840 and a town laid out
by the Monteith family in 1847, The arrival of the railroad in 1871
allowed the town to become the manufacturing hub of the Willamette
Valley. By 1941 the town was a major lumber
processing center. In 1942 the U.S. Burea of Mines established the
Northwest Electro-development Facility to develop new processes for
exotic metals such as titanium, zirconium, and rare earths.
The town was the railhead for Camp Adair.
Official Website (accessed 2011-11-27)
Oregon Encyclopedia: Albany (accessed 2011-11-27)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article